Saturday, October 3, 2009

Should you add certification to your credentials?

It probably goes without saying that you should never stop learning. So, after we’ve worked so hard to complete SCC’s Paralegal Program, is certification really necessary? Of course not, but I’ve talked to a few paralegals about this and they have all strongly suggested obtaining certification.

The
NALA offers detailed information about the certification and claims that there are over 15,000 certified paralegals and more than 1,800 with advanced certification. According to NALA’s website, the CP “credential has been recognized by the American Bar Association as a designation which marks a high level of professional achievement.” It just may give you that extra “edge” towards obtaining a job or advancing in your current job.

Continuing education keeps you up-to-date with the changes in the profession. In fact, staying abreast of the latest changes through continuous education is listed in NALA’s Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility (Canon #6). Many CLE credits can be obtained via on-line courses, but for those of you who like to travel and prefer in-class training, options are available. Both the
NFPA® and NALA offer these educational opportunities.

6 comments:

  1. I have looked into the certification process and am strongly considering it. My only issue is whether I will first complete my bachelors or simply wait until I have the pre-requisite work experience before taking the certification test. You said that many paralegals speak highly of this, but what does it mean in relation to job opportunities or advancement if any?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing the paralegal field is fairly competitive and certification serves as a way to distinguish one candidate from another. If a paralegal goes to the trouble to be certified, it says the paralegal takes the career seriously. I also think certification raises the value and professionalism of the paralegal profession in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had really given no thought of certification until I read your blog. I have been searching for a paralegal job weekly in my own blog and have found that there are not many out there. After reading this, I know I will complete this certification to give myself an edge up on others I interview against.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first heard of the certification, I immediately made up my mind to take the test and get that little edge up over some other paralegals. I think that when you make the decision to take the test you are showing how serious you are about this profession and how far you want to go with it! Very interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have personally known three paralegals that had their certification. Many believe that it is a one-up on others in the profession. Others see it as a higher devotion to their profession. I am of the latter belief. While becoming a RP does have its perks (higher wages, sometimes) it truely does take a high devotion to your choosen field. I personally believe it would be beneficial, but a lot of work in addition to what we have suffered at Sinclair through the program. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has always been my intention to take the extra step and become certified in the State of Ohio. Because my eventual job search will no doubt take me out of Ohio, I think the certification will be beneficial. Your blog info confirms this decision for me.

    ReplyDelete