Sunday, October 11, 2009

Should you take an interim job?

During your time at SCC taking the required and elective paralegal courses you’ve most likely determined what area of law you prefer to focus on for your job search. I found an article on i-Newswire that reprinted an interview with Debra Benton, an executive coach and author, where she addresses the pros and cons of holding out for that dream job or taking a less-than-ideal job just for the money or experience.


There’s no clear answer to this situation because it depends upon your circumstances. If you are able to financially weather the job-search storm, then you can be more selective. If not, you may have to take a job that doesn’t exactly fit what you would consider a first or second choice. I suspect many of us will fit in the latter category – I know I do.


This article reminded me that even though you may accept a less-than-optimum job offer, you can always learn something while you are there. It’s important to always do your best and produce quality work. You never know if the time you spend gaining that all-important, on-the-job experience or making new contacts, will set you on the track to your ultimate job. No one should stay in a job where you’re not treated with respect though. That’s never worth a paycheck.



2 comments:

  1. Jean-

    I found a lot of interest when reading your blog post this week. I will be finished with the program at the end of spring. I am nervous about finding a job that truly want and hopefully like. But even more, I am nervous about finding a job period. It is nice to know that I am not the only one feeling this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom Bodett once quoted, “The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.” This sums it up for me. . . the various work experiences you are exposed to, the more "life lessons" you have to offer when that dream position finally knocks on your door.

    ReplyDelete